Monday, June 13, 2011

Watching the Garden Grow

Last year I planted a garden for the first time. Here is what I learned:
1. Tomato plants get BIG.
2. Plants like our red clay.
3. I can, in fact, grow things.

So this year we expanded. We made the garden deeper so that it comes out as far as our back yard fence. We turned the whole thing and mixed in some compost from our compost heap in the back yard before planting. A few weeks ago (the end of April...) I planted red bell peppers, mild jalapeno peppers, Roma tomatoes, salsa hybrid tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, and rosemary. And crossed my fingers.

Here's a quick snap from my cell phone of how it looked after I finished planting on 4/30.

And here's the garden today.


Bell pepper.

Jalapeno pepper.

Roma tomato(s).

Cucumber.

Strawberries (we have yet to eat any from the garden due to a pesky rabbit that chews them up as soon as they're ripe enough to pick...grrrr).

1 comment:

Emily said...

Omfg!! That is amazing!!!!!