Thursday, June 23, 2011

Now Where Were We?

It's bad when you have to look at your own blog to see what the last post was...10 days ago apparently. Oops.

So in the last ten days we:

Visited the National Zoo...where I didn't take any pictures of the kiddos, but a few of the zoo animals. It was overall a nice trip. They're doing construction and have one of the parking lots closed, so initially I got pretty fired up over showing up and all the parking was full. I know we went a little later in the morning than usual, but it was a weekday and ALL local public school systems were still in session. Seriously. It turned out for the best, because after circling the block we ended up back on Conn Ave headed back toward the beltway and lo and behold I started seein available meter spots. I snagged one and we were literally five cars back from the zoo. It cost like $4.25 in quarters to fill the meter to its full two hours, but still much cheaper than the zoo parking would have been anyway. And who wants to stay at the zoo with a three year old and a nine month old for more than two hours, really? Not I. The highlight of the day was seeing the orangutan walking from habitat to habitat on the cables suspended above. And I liked the tiger. Jillian was a little disappointed because she wanted to see the hippo in the water. The National Zoo doesn't have any hippos. Giant pandas, yep, but my toddler wanted to see the hippo. *sigh*



We've been playing outside just about every afternoon. Jen linked to this site that tells how to make liquid sidewalk chalk. Jillian just loves "painting" with it! There has also been lots of kiddie pool time and usage of regular sidewalk chalk. Jillian still loves to play outside.


No pictures on this one, though I probably should be taking pictures with my "real" camera.... I've been learning to 1) cook on the grill and 2) cook vegetables. I grew up with a hatred of the things and have decided to learn how to cook them so that I enjoy them. My ulterior motive here is that I'd like to join a CSA program next year, but they're not cheap. I totally can't justify the expense if I won't eat/know how to cook most of what we'd get each week. So to the farmers market I go each week and try something new. So far I've tried (in order of most favorite to least): zucchini (grilled), kale (sauteed not wilted), broccoli (blanched and lightly sauteed), cauliflower (pureed), asparagus (grilled), collard greens (sauteed not wilted), swiss chard (slightly wilted and sauteed). The swiss chard wasn't great, but honestly I enjoyed all of the others! I also have yellow squash to grill this weekend. I also made Beer Can Chicken; thank you Bobby Flay, it was the best chicken I've ever done!

We celebrated Father's Day. When we begged off the traditional restaurant get together this year, and so did a bunch of other people, John suggested we try and reserve a picnic shelter at one of the Patapsco State Parks. It was short notice, but we found one and it turned out just fabulous. It was us, John's dad and his wife, and John's brother and his family. We grilled, nothing fancy, just hot dogs, burgers, and sausages, we ate, the kids played on the playground, and us big kids tossed around the football. And Jessica let EVERYONE hold her while I was around and didn't freak out!!! Here are a couple pics from the outing.

John's Dad (Wayne) and all his grands.

Wayne with his sons and the grands.

Jessie with her Bubby and Paw-Paw.

The end of the day.


Jessie has discovered what she can do with crawling and standing up. Finally being mobile has some meaning to her! She and Jilly play really well together...I must say I'm thrilled about that!!!

No comments: