Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Tomato Experiment

I've never really been described as having a green thumb. My houseplants have all been dead for years. I've had luck outdoors with my "miniature" rose bush (I put miniature in quotes because it's often over four feet tall). This year I decided it would be a neat experiment to see if we could grow tomatoes here. Our soil can be best described as clay: very red and very hard. I was skeptical at best, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. I picked a spot in the "garden" on the side of our house, cleared it (except for some kind of tree in the middle), and my mom helped me plant seven, I think, tomato plants. I believe we started with five regular plants and two Roma tomato plants. I wish I had taken a picture when we started, but picture eight inch seedlings. We also planted some marigolds, as I had heard they help keep bugs away. I'd like to take this chance to show you how our tomato garden has progressed.




For scale, those taller bamboo stakes are 6' tall and the shorter ones are 5' tall. I think next year we'll clear the whole area, extend it out to our backyard fence line, and plant more stuff. Apparently, it's a good place to plant. Who knew?

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yum!

Lindsey said...

That's awesome!

emk said...

You have such a spread! We just came home to find 4 ripe ones waiting for us-- isn't it fun to grow your own food?!