Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Craftastic Afternoon

The extent of my sewing skills pretty much ends at straight lines. Which is why quilting appeals to me so much. You can an awful lot quilt-wise with mere straight lines.

The other day I came across a pattern and tutorial for a reversible bag that caught my eye. It looked like a simple pattern and the instructions had only ten steps. Simple, right?

Well...it was a learning process. I haven't sewn something other than straight lines since middle school home ec class. Cutting out the pattern went fine. Cutting out the fabric went fine. I was feeling pretty confident at this point. The first change I made *gasp* was to add pockets. That went ok. I improvised, and the first pocket I sewed on (the plaid pocket) ended up being too small. So I cut out a bigger one for the other side and it turned out a decent size after sewing it on. Then I dove into assembling the bag.

I realized I have no idea how to sew darts. I think I did mine wrong. I think I cut them out right, since they were on the pattern (though I did have to go back and cut them out, since I didn't know at first that I needed to do that until the whole "sew the darts" step). Oh, and once I accidentally sewed the whole darn thing shut, but hey, that's what seam rippers are for, right?

But overall it turned out alright. Not perfect by any stretch, but functional. I had hoped it would end up a bit bigger (which is weird, since the instructions say how big you should expect it to turn out), but it will work for what I initially wanted (a bag to throw my portable knitting project in to carry from place to place rather than the ratty, plastic Michaels bag I've been using). Or I was thinking I could use it as a little purse, enough hold keys, cell phone, camera, a few diapers, and a juice box.



It's somewhat less than symmetrical, but it works. And the experience wasn't so terrifying to me that I won't try something else now!

3 comments:

Jen S. said...

You did a great job on your bag. I don't even know how to sew darts! I'm working on a sundress tonight; hopefully it'll be a one night project. :)

Lindsey said...

I'm impressed!

Emily said...

That's really cute! I'm glad you aren't afraid to try something new cause I like seeing the craftyness!