Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tot School - Easter Week



I specify "Easter week", because it means that we didn't accomplish half of what we set out to. And this beautiful weather means we're spending much more time outdoors. I'm going to have to start thinking up some good outdoor Tot School activities!

We started the week out going for a long walk at Patapsco Valley State Park's Avalon Area. I wanted some outside time, and I thought it would be especially neat as there was a CSX train that wreck there the end of last week. I was hoping we'd see some of the train and cleanup - and we did!


This is one of my favorite parks to visit - there's so much to explore!



The next day, I found some great kid-size hula hoops at the dollar store that I picked up for Jillian. I was hoping we could use them for some bean bag tossing games. This lasted all of five seconds. She was much more into putting the bean bags back in the bag.


Then she found a ball. She's totally into kicking balls around.

We did a stArt (story + art) project last week, and read the book, "I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track" by Joshua Prince. We both really enjoyed the book, and Jillian sort of enjoyed 'building' her own railroad track.



I figured we were already set up at the table, so I made some Easter stamps from dollar store erasers hot glued to corks. This was fun for a minute. Then it devolved into complete finger painting. With non-finger paints. So I then felt obliged to get out the actual finger paints.



There was Easter egg hunting galore. First at church on Saturday...

Then at my mom's house on Sunday. And at my mother-in-law's house, too, but I didn't get any pictures of that one :-(

We read lots of "R" books this week (did I mention our very loose theme was "R"?). The ant on the railroad track book was by far our favorite of the bunch!

And I borrowed "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" with Shirley Temple from the library. Jillian enjoyed watching about half of this movie, and was inspired to climb up to our piano and do her own playing and singing!

This week we'll continue with "R", since there were a couple activities I really wanted to get in and didn't last week. And I'm SO excited that I finally got Do-A-Dot markers! I had enough Swag Bucks to redeem for Amazon.com gift cards and got a set totally for free! They came yesterday, so no doubt there will be lots of dot art this week!!

Head over to 1+1+1=1 to read some wonderful Tot School posts!

4 comments:

Lil' Ms. P said...

I loved how you created the stampers. Where do you get all of your corks?

Giggly Girls said...

Cute, cute!!!!!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

The Ant on the Track sounds like a great book.

Brenna said...

as usual, cute ideas, mel! where did you get your beanbags?