Thursday, April 1, 2010

stART - I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track



We LOVED this book by Joshua Prince! I loved reading it, and Jillian loved having it read to her.

It's about a railroad switch operator named Jack who sees an ant headed the wrong way on a the railroad track. He tries to flip the switch so the ant and the oncoming train don't have a run-in with one another, but can't do it. At the end, the ant is attracted to Jack's lunch and leaves the track on his own, and they share lunch together.

I helped Jillian make a railroad track for our stArt project. I drew two lines on a piece of construction paper and helped her color some popsicle sticks brown to make the railroad ties. Then I let her glue the ties on the "rails".


While she was busy making the ties, I grabbed a few black pompoms, hot glued them together, and added some googly eyes. A black pipe cleaner cut into pieces made the ant's legs and antennae.

I don't think she loved this craft, but she did get really excited when she glued the ties on the rails. She liked the ant I made best of all!

For more story + art ideas, check out A Mommy's Adventures!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

What a cute project! I love the ant too :0) This looks like a really cute book, we will have to check it out.

Thank you for linking to stART this week.

Kelly said...

She looks like she's having a great time. I've never read this book. We'll have to look for it, it looks cute.

amy2blessings said...

Looks like a great book, great craft

Brimful Curiosities said...

My son would absolutely love reading this book. He is a train fan and likes to look at ants, too.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I like the ant you made, too! I'll have to check out that book.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Cute book - and ant! I love your project.

Trudie said...

I love the ant! What a cute idea! You have the most adorable little girl. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Ticia said...

Because the ant is that cool! I love the ant.
Seriously though, it looks like a fun project, even if your little one didn't like it as much.

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is a nice mommy-daughter project, and it turned out great. Hopefully in a couple of years Jillian will make that ant all by herself.