Thursday, March 4, 2010

stART - Owl Babies

Due to my toddler's apparent dislike for books last week, we missed doing a stArt project.

This week she's feeling a bit more positive towards them and we read "Owl Babies" by Martin Wadell. She really has enjoyed reading about the owls and saying "mommy!" when the littlest owl says, "I want my mommy!"

I decided to do a painting project with her, since she LOVES painting, but we've never actually done something more directed with painting. During nap time I cut out three owl "babies" in three different sizes. Then I cut out a picture of an owl flying, to be Mother Owl from the story. I sketched a rough outline of a tree on her easel paper and let her do all the painting. I gave her brown paint (for the tree trunk), green paint (for the leaves), and mixed yellow with white (for the owls that she was going to glue in the tree).

She used a sponge to paint some of the leaves.

I applied glue to the back of the owl babies (since she was covered in paint!) and let her place them in the tree and paint them.

Then she glued on Mother Owl who is flying back to her babies in the tree.

All in all I think she liked this project, and I thought it turned out cute!

Visit A Mommy's Adventures to check out some great stArt projects!!

8 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Great pictures - she looks so intent on her work!

Wonder Mom said...

"Whooooo" is an adorable artisit? Your daughter, that's who!

Just precious...

Christy said...

Owl Babies is one of our favorite books! Cute project.

sbswtp said...

What a great project! She is too cute:)

Jenny said...

What a fun project! We haven't read Owl Babies, but I have heard that it's a great story.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Oh, my kids both love Owl Babies. What an adorable craft!

Party of Eight said...

We have that book! Wonderful project idea! She always looks like she is having a good time doing her art projects. I know it takes a lot of patience to break out the paints! (especially when you are expecting!) I hope you are feeling better (with the headaches). I have gotten those, too, in previous pregnancies. They were terrible sinus headaches. Take care!

Raising a Happy Child said...

We loved the book here too! Great project for your daughter's age - she looks so engrossed in her art.