Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tot School

We had a less formal week this week - all these blizzards are killing my productivity. I know, with all this time at home I should be extra productive, right? Wrong. Something about being snowed in practically paralyzes me and makes me want to do nothing but chill on the couch with a warm blanket between bouts of shoveling. *sigh*



We stuck with the letter "M" again this week and re-read "Library Mouse" by Daniel Kirk. Jillian really likes this book, so I chose it to do a stArt (A Story + Art = A Great StArt!) project. The book is about a mouse named Sam who lives in a library. He writes little books and puts them on the shelves, attracting the attention of the librarians and children, who want to meet him. He makes blank little books for the children to write their own books, and sets up a meet the author display that has a key feature of a mirror, to show children that they can all be authors too!

I took some printer paper, cut it in half, and stapled it together to form a small, blank book, and had Jillian "author" her own book. She enjoyed it so much that later in the week I made another blank book for her!



We did some Valentine's Day painting (i.e. with red, pink, and white). I had high aspirations of cutting heart shapes out of her paintings and making valentines, but we didn't quite make it that far.

She's a very enthusiastic painter.

I cut some heart shapes out of a sponge for her to try sponge painting, but she wasn't so into that.


What she was into was marble painting again.

I remember seeing on someone's blog playing with the game Connect Four (I forget which blog, though!). I pulled it out to let Jillian play with it and try some sorting by color and making patterns. She quickly lost interest and just wanted to get the pieces out of the grid.

Then it snowed again. UGH!!

Yesterday I pulled out some of our foam sheets and stickers and Jillian made some pictures that were more spring-like. Because we are SO ready for spring!

While we were out late in the week, I picked up some pipe cleaners and wooden beads for her to try stringing. She did really good with this; I wasn't sure how good her fine motor skills were, but apparently they're pretty awesome!


This week we're moving on to the letter "N" and I hope to work with Jillian on her name and numbers!! Visit 1+1+1=1 for some awesome Tot School ideas from other moms!!

12 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

Great painting activities! I am going to have to cut some sponge shapes for B to paint with!

Mama to 3 Blessings said...

what a nice job - I love the marble painting! Fun activities - wish there was snow here for my boys to play in - it doesn't snow here :(

Giggly Girls said...

She is quite the artist!!

I know what you mean about the snow. We never get much done when that happens either. Thankfully, it doesn't snow often. LOL

Our Country Road said...

The little book you made with Jillian is adorable! I hear you on wanting it to be spring. I am trying hard to be happy with all this snow, but it is getting OLD. It looks like you had a fun week anyways.

April said...

I love the picture of your little one holding up her book! So cute!

sbswtp said...

What a fun week!!! I love that she made her own book :)

Laura said...

The marble and sponge painting look like so much fun! Thanks for the great ideas :)

Susan said...

The books she made are too sweet.
I miss the snow =(. I don't miss the shoveling!

Lindsay said...

What a fun week! I love the marble painting, it turned out super cute!

jd6405 said...

What a super fun week even with all the snow! I am so glad to hear a review of the book "Library Mouse"! I have seen it everywhere, but I haven't been able to get my hands on to check it out myself!

Becky said...

I'm so ready for spring too! I love all your great ideas. I need to try marble painting sometime.

Dawn said...

I love the heart-shaped sponge! Very good idea! (I just thought to myself, hey, I should try that for the next holiday...but I think a clover-shaped sponge might be a little tricky to cut, ha ha!)

I, too, somehow managed to do LESS when we're snowed in. Go figure.