Monday, February 8, 2010

Tot School



This week we worked with the letter "M".

The first thing we tried was building structures with mini-marshmallows and toothpicks. Jillian wasn't into it AT ALL. But she was into eating the marshmallows once she realized that's what one normally does with marshmallows.

Since we had the marshmallows and toothpicks out, I decided to let her try marshmallow painting. This actually held her interest for a while, but then the activity evolved to just painting. Which we learned she could do for hours without getting bored!


After we finished painting, I showed Jillian how to do some marble painting. This was very exciting...she kept whispering, "WOW!". But of course the marbles themselves were even more exciting, turning into her favorite toy of the day.

Jillian finally got into playing with the magnetic toy we checked out of the library. It has a magnetic wand that you use to move the discs around inside. It requires a little gentleness which is not our forte. I may renew it and see if she wants to work with it a bit more.

Completely un-"M" related, my mom took us to an awesome consignment store this week where we found some great stuff. I picked up this Noah's ark for Jillian, which she has loved playing with this week (there's only one giraffe, though...).

We picked up some big pop beads that I thought were about age appropriate. They're a little tough for her to put together, but I think once she tries a couple more times, she'll get the hang of it.

There were a few more great finds, but my favorite by far is the Melissa & Doug Latches Board that I've been hunting for!! Jillian played with this from the moment I found it at the store and is almost a pro at all the latches already! I didn't get any pictures of her playing with it, but I'm sure I will, since it has become a fast favorite.

From the library, we checked out some "M" books:

"Library Mouse" by Daniel Kirk (we both liked this one a lot!)


"Mary and the Mouse, the Mouse and Mary" by Beverly Donofrio


"Monsters are Afraid of the Moon" by Marjane Satrapi


"Mouse was Mad" by Linda Urban


"Town Mouse, Country Mouse" by Carol Jones (this was a bit long to hold a 24 month old's attention span)


"Minnie and Moo go to the Moon" by Denys Cazet (we didn't get to read this one yet)


And of course we had some outdoor ed with the almost three feet of snow we got! First we shoveled, then we played!



This week I think we'll continue with the letter "M" and add in some Valentine's Day themed crafts! Head on over to 1+1+1=1 to see what other Tot Schoolin' moms are doing!

7 comments:

Booklover1212 said...

Very cute ideas!

Hope you're able to get shoveled out soon! ;-)

~ Jennifer
http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

What a fun M week! I like the marshmallow painting! We got a ton of snow this week also!

Dawn said...

Your daughter looks so cute next to the giant pile of snow!

We just bought fingerpaints last week, and I might try the marshmallow painting. Neat idea!

Susan said...

Thanks for all of the book ideas. I love to see what other people are reading!

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

I like the marshmellow idea!

fraizerbaz said...

Your little girl is super-cute! (You are a very brave momma for letting her paint in a white shirt!)

Melissa said...

We have had those beads at my parents house since Sadie was under a year. When we first got them my SIL and I tried to make a circle, but there are not enough. Sadie just chewed on them so it did not matter. In December, she tried to make a circle all on her own and was really upset she could not. We bought another set and she loves them!