Thursday, February 18, 2010

stART - The Perfect Nest



For our story and art project this week, we read "The Perfect Nest" by Catherine Friend. The book is about a cat who builds the perfect nest to attract a perfect chicken who would lay a perfect egg that could make the perfect omelet for the cat to eat. But the nest attracts a hen, a duck, and a goose, all who lay eggs in the perfect nest. They all want to stay in the nest and the cat tricks them into leaving so he can get their eggs. But then the eggs hatch and the chick, duckling, and gosling look to the cat to be their mommy. In the end, the cat takes care of the baby animals and discovers that he in fact, made the perfect nest.

I stumbled across this yarn egg project a couple weeks ago on a friend's blog and thought that would be a great way to make a nest - just do the bottom half of a balloon and *bingo* it would be a nest! This was easier said than done and I ended up actually making the nest because it was a little tough. No pictures of that process - I really needed three hands to do it!

But it turned out alright, I guess. A bit small, but I wasn't going to try again...

I was hoping we could go forage for nest "fixins" outdoors, but since our ground is buried under feet of snow, we had to improvise while creating the perfect nest. We used a bean bag as a pillow to make it soft and got out our Easter eggs out.


Then I hunted down the small chick that we had in one of our books upstairs because Jillian kept opening the eggs and looking for the "babies".


And here's the book and our perfect nest!

This week's project was fun, but last week's was such a big hit, I don't know how I'm going to be able to top it!!

Head over to A Mommy's Adventures to read about more stArt projects!!

3 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

We read this book and enjoyed it very much. It looks like Jillian really enjoyed the surprise inside of the egg most.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We'll have to look for that book!

And, I left you an award at http://almostunschoolers.blogspot.com/2010/02/beautiful-blogger-and-sunshine-awards.html

Ticia said...

That's funny, I just read a book with the same name that's a totally different story.
I had the same problem with making a nest with yarn as you did.