Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tot School

This week was a slow tot school week. I spent a couple days feeling out of it with a massive sinus headache and generally felt yucky this week.



We spent a little more time on the letter "L" this week.

I made Jillian some "L" subject matching cards (somehow I didn't get a picture of her matching these up). They're just like the "K" cards I made two weeks ago, but with "L" subjects. Funny, she loved the "K" cards, but the "L" cards weren't such a big hit.

What I really wanted to do was take a leaf walk this week, but between me feeling bad and the C-O-L-D temperatures we had, it just didn't happen.

We did read a lot of books, though.

Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert


Leaves! Leaves! Leaves! by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace (I want to remember this one for when Jillian is older - it seemed educational-fun!)


Leaves by David Ezra Stein


Lizard's Guest by George Shannon (I liked this one, too)


The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (I know, not an "L" book, but I couldn't resist and Jillian LOVED it!)


Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (another non-"L" book that Jillian picked out herself; entirely too long for a two year old!)


Later in the week, we got a shipment from Omaha Steaks from my parents, and the best part of that is...the dry ice! Daddy loves doing experiments with it for Jillian and she loves it too!

Here she is playing with the bubbles it makes when dropped into a cup of dish soap and warm water.

Then she loved it when she'd get the bubbles on her hands and clap - the gas escaped from the bubbles when they popped so it looked like they were smoking when she clapped!

And finally we got some good outdoor time today after 6" of snow fell Saturday!

I'm looking forward to moving on to "M" week next week and hope to get as much accomplished as I have on my list! Head on over to 1+1+1=1 to see what some other tot-schooling moms are up to with their little ones!

5 comments:

CristyLynn said...

What great books! I LOVE The Giving Tree. A friend introduced me to it in college, and it's been a favorite ever since. Need to get a copy of that for my little one.
Enjoy your snow. :)
(found you on 1+1+1=1, just so you know)

Giggly Girls said...

Dry ice? How fun is that. Great experiment.

Enjoy your snow. We got some here for the first time in about 7 years. Quite exciting. LOL

Our Country Road said...

I have never had the priviledge of playing with dry ice. It looks like fun! I love the Giving Tree, we need to pull it out, here. M is a fun letter, looking forward to your week.

Lil' Ms. P said...

So much fun! We got about 3 1/2 inches of snow, but our boy has a cold. No worries though, we brought snow into him.

Brenna said...

excellent stuff, mel! sorry you had a yucky sinus thing going on!