Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tot School

I feel like we didn't get much Tot School-ing done this week, but maybe we accomplished more than I thought.

Since Monday was a holiday, we got to spend some time with friends we don't see as often as we'd like! On Tuesday we hosted a get together of our moms group and Jillian got to hang and play with six of her toddler friends. Then on Wednesday we made up our My Gym class from Monday.



We didn't really tackle any Tot School activities (except for reading together) until later in the week.

Our focus this week was the letter "L", so we did a lamb craft from DLTK's site. Have I mentioned that I just LOVE this site? Jillian is still struggling with gluing things; she dislikes the permanence of it since whatever it is we're gluing seems to make an interesting toy for her.

We also colored a ladybug red. We were going to focus on the color red this week also, but after Jillian demanded "purple" while coloring her Lion & Lamb page as well as her L-l template, that went out the window. I was just thrilled that she asked for a color by name!

Then I tried letting Jillian use kitchen tongs to transfer corks from one container into others of varying shapes and sizes. These were just too big for her to handle, so she ended up just playing with the corks and the containers.

She got to try out her new tools when she helped Daddy fix the chair that broke last weekend.

And lastly, Jilly spent some time playing the piano this evening. She even sang along briefly!

From the library this week:
"Lazy Lion" by Mwenye Hadithi (I thought this one was cute)


"Mama, Do You Love Me?" by Barbara M. Joosse


"The Grouchy Ladybug" by Eric Carle


"The Lion's Share" by Matthew McElligott (this was a good book too, dealing with math)


"The Little Lame Prince" by Rosemary Wells (a bit long for Jillian to sit through)
(I couldn't find an image of the version we have)

I was a little disappointed with our books this week. I'm usually impressed by most of our selections, but only two of last week's books really captured both Jillian's and my attention for the entire book.

As usual, every night this week we read her Sesame Street Alphabet "L" book. She has taken to requesting her letter book before bed every night and calls all letters, "E".

We had a couple other things I wanted to get to over the week that we didn't, so I think we're going to do another "L" week.

To see what other moms are doing with their tots, head over to 1+1+1=1!!

5 comments:

Mama to 3 Blessings said...

nice job! I love the idea of transfering the corks!

Brenna said...

those all look like great ideas!!! amedeo loves glue...too bad it looks so much like chapstick. (don't ask)

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness- your daughters looks very similar to mine!! No wonder i think shes so cute :) Especially the look on her face doing all these little activities!

Tot Play: A Learning Journey said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Oh ... how I wish I had a REAL piano. I want to learn how to play and I know that my daughter would love real lessons. We tried Kinderbach's sample weeks with her play piano. I also want to buy Alyssa a tool set- she loves her drill (Design and Drill Activity Set-neat toy)? We found smaller plastic tongs (clear) at a party store. I think that craft stores have them and they are cheap (possibly less than a dollar). I have also seen some really nice ones with bug sets around April or May. What an awesome week!
Tracey

Tasty Eats At Home said...

She is adorable. I love that she gets to help - those skills like the cork activity and the fixing-the-chair activity will translate well for her as she gets older! She'll hopefully become a great help in the kitchen!