Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tot School

Well, after our big Tot School break, we started getting back into it this week. In our "letter of the week theme", I think we had left off at the letter "I". I went ahead and moved right on to the letter "J" this week, since, well, Jillian starts with "J"! And I decided to focus on a color as well, so we focused on green.



I had tons of great ideas for this week, but we settled on just a few low key things to get back into the swing of things.

Jillian colored (with her green crayons) her letter "J-j" coloring page.

I figured by incorporating both "J" and green into the week, it naturally led to focusing on jungles. So we watched the Disney movie, "The Jungle Book".

We checked out several books from the library about jungles. This was the best part of the week. Until now, Jillian has been too rough with books to read her anything but board books. At some point recently, it seems, she has learned to be gentle with "real books" and I got to check out some really neat ones from the library. All of which she enjoyed tremendously. She really gets into the colorful illustrations.

These are the jungle books we checked out:

"Edward in the Jungle" by David McPhail


"The Great Kapok Tree" by Lynne Cherry


"The Water Hole" by Graeme Base (a counting book!)


"Through the Heart of the Jungle" by Jonathan Emmett (this is a cumulative tale, similar to the classic nursery rhyme "The House That Jack Built")


I feel like this breakthrough of Jillian's will open up a whole new world of bedtime stories and am totally excited about it!!!

In our "life learning" category, I made sandwich bread this week, and Jillian got to help me knead the dough. As you can imagine, it was messy, but fun!


Hopefully next week we can get a few more activities in for Tot School! For now, head over to 1+1+1=1 for some other great Tot School posts.

8 comments:

Tot Play: A Learning Journey said...

I'll check back next week to see what else you two do for the jungle theme. Looks like she had fun making bread! The books look great too - let me know which one is her favorite. Don't you just LOVE being able to check out library books other than board books.
Tracey

emk said...

Love that big grin in the last pic!

Susan said...

Thanks for all of your book suggestions. I love reading about books that other people like.

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

Cooking is a great lesson! Cute pictures!

Lindsay said...

What a great week! I loved it when I could start reading paper paged books!

Our Country Road said...

I envy you :) My Charger still likes to rip a page or two in books. I love the Jungle Book. Looks like a lot of fun!

Marc said...

Love the pics of Jillian!

April said...

I love the pic of her kneading the dough