Sunday, December 27, 2009

Resolutions for the New Year: 2010 Edition

Now, I'm sure you're all thinking, "Hey, there wasn't a 2009 Edition!". I know, I know. That's because I’m not usually a big “New Year Resolutions” kind of person, but this year I thought I’d put some on paper, if nothing else than to remind myself of where I want to be when I lose focus. Which is often. I made this the 2010 Edition, in hopes that I refer back to this list often throughout the year and make some resolutions next year.

From looking over my list, I can see two main themes coming through: planning, organizing, balance, and consistency.

Home
1. Get back to menu planning. I foolishly thought that I had menu planning in the bag, so I stopped creating weekly menus “in hard copy” and just planned in my head. This has NOT been working for me. So although I often feel like it’s wasted time to sit and write out my menu plan, it works for me, and I need to get back to doing it. Even when I don’t stick to the menu, I feel like my week is much more in control when I have one in place.

2. Start cooking more casseroles and crock pot meals. This means branching out a little. I don’t have many “go to” recipes for casseroles and crock pot meals, but when I make them, I think, “Wow, that was easy! Why don’t I do this more often?” And then I don’t do it more often. And I should.

3. Get on a cleaning schedule. I am a terrible homemaker. Well, maybe not terrible, but my cleaning skills leave much to be desired. For real. I need to get into a routine with cleaning. I know it’ll take a couple months to really make it habitual, but I also know that I’ll feel much more productive (and less stressed) doing a little bit at a time more consistently.

4. Organize Jillian’s stuff. I’ve got her clothes pretty organized, but books and toys are another story. With some Christmas money, I’m making an Ikea trip this week to pick up another cubby-hole-organizer-shelf-thingie like the one in our kitchen for our living room and bins for it. I can’t WAIT to have her things more organized. And I’m hoping that a little organization will help her learn to put away with more ease.


Parenting
1. Learn more about home schooling methods and resources. I’ve been thinking about home schooling for a very long time now, but other than reading some blogs (which are good resources and have some great ideas), I haven’t done any additional research. I think this year needs to be the year that I buckle down and start learning a bit more. I need to take this slow. Knowing me, I’ll go all gung-ho, check out like ten books from the library next week and burn out on the whole thing by February!

2. Plan Jillian’s activities out by the month. I find ourselves with weeks that have nothing planned and some weeks where we’re overcommitted. I need to plan out Jilly’s activities more in advance so that I can better balance her activities.

3. Get back to a more organized Tot School format. We’ve been doing Tot School for a few months at home, but over the last couple weeks, I’ve really slacked at planning. I don’t always get to all the activities that I plan for our Tot School, but having a plan makes it easier to stick to and I find that Jillian gets more out of our activities that way too.

4. Potty train Jillian. This one’s not a “top priority” item, but I would like to report next year this time that we have a toilet trained toddler in the house.


Personal
1. Doing something outdoors at least one time each week. Really, unless it’s downpouring or snowing for a week straight, there’s no reason we can’t get our butts outside and do something active.

2. Get out of debt. Yep, that’s a biggie. Over the past year, we’ve struggled financially while getting our business Enercient off the ground. We’re hoping and praying that 2009 was the worst year we’ll face financially and looking to 2010 to be a recovery year. Honestly, I can’t wait to pay off our debt and tell our creditors that we don’t need them anymore!

3. Be more consistent with prayer and Bible reading time. I’m often sporadic about reading my Bible and about setting aside time for prayer. I’d like to work both of these into my schedule and make them part of my daily life again.

4. Get back to my old blog habits. Over the past month, I’ve really slacked off of the blog carnivals that I participated in and reading my favorite blogs. Since I’ve been blogging, I really enjoy participating in these communities and the outlet that I find in consistent blogging.

5. Learn more about my Droid apps and use it/them to help me plan and organize. I got a Motorola Droid this fall and have had “smart phones” before. But this time I’m really trying to use it to its full potential. With all this planning and organizing I want to do, I’ve already found a couple applications that I’m using to help store and sort my tidbits of information. I want to continue to use it as more than just a phone and let it help me stay on top of things!

So there you have it; my resolutions for this upcoming year. Happy New Year to you all!!!

UPDATED:
This post is linked to Amber's "Friend Makin' Mondays". Visit her blog to read some more great resolutions for the upcoming year!

9 comments:

Elaine@bloginmyeye said...

Nice resolutions. I need to adopt some of these!

Emily said...

I am also a check-out-ten-books-and-then-brun-out type of girl! I totally relate to that! If you have a slow week with few activities give me a call, we often have those too and it drives me nuts!!

luba17 said...

We wish to you and all blogger Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

"Have a fantastic holiday"

Regard,
Great Sales Today Manhattan, NY
'Management Team'

You can leave message and wish to us here

Tara said...

Great list!!! Maybe I need to add a few of these to my phantom resolutions list.

Tesa@2Wired2Tired said...

Great resolutions! A lot of them sound somewhat fun and very beneficial so hopefully they will be not to difficult to achieve. If you find any great casserole or crockpot recipes be sure to share with us!

Brenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenna said...

hee hee...i typed and didn't read before i posted. silly me.
great list, mel! if you can do a quarter of those things, it'll be a super duper year!

Party of Eight said...

I agree with Brenna! Looks like you have a Happy 2010 to look forward to :) I need to do some resolutions, too...

Barb said...

I didn't make any resolutions but my word for the year is Organize. I need to be more organized and stop letting life happen to me.
Good luck