Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What I Learned This Week



I've been neglecting the ole blog over the last couple weeks, and as you read what I learned this week (and last...), you'll know why.

Over the last couple weeks I've learned more about early pregnancy problems than I ever knew before.

A couple weeks ago, I learned that I was pregnant. After my first round of blood tests, I learned that my beta protein levels were low. After my second round of blood testing, I learned that they weren't rising very quickly. After my third round of blood tests, I learned that I may have an ectopic pregnancy.

And on and on. By today, I've learned that the pregnancy was not ectopic, and that my beta protein levels are decreasing = miscarriage.

Since we identified a problem very early on, I'm not heartbroken, just disappointed.

I learned that if you are prepared for the worst case scenario (in this case, ectopic pregnancy), news of an early pregnancy miscarriage isn't as devastating as it might have been.

I also learned that American Radiology won't allow you to take your toddler back in the ultrasound room with you, and that you have to have someone with you to watch your little one while you're having your procedure done. Thank you Lisa for coming to my rescue!!

I learned that friends and family are wonderful to have and a support network is SO important!

I also learned to be grateful. Despite the miscarriage, my stepson's grandmother lost her battle with cancer this week, and I'm grateful that I have my family and we're in relatively good health.

So that's what's been going on in our world.

I'll probably still be a little blog slacking this week, with the holiday coming up, but should be back to the "regularly scheduled program" next week.

Head over to Musings of a Housewife to read about what other bloggers learned over the week!

12 comments:

Jen Sellers said...

Melanie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you are recovering OK.

Viki said...

I'm so sorry. God bless you and your family.

The 2 Cannons said...

Melanie, I am so sorry. I'll keep you all in my prayers. Hugs:)

Casy Schweickart said...

I am so sorry and will be keeping your family and extended family in my prayers.

Melissa said...

Hi Mel - I am sorry to hear about this. Hope you are doing ok.

Amy Platon said...

Deep breath! I'm sorry to hear that. You're blessed that you're not heartbroken over the news. Thoughts are with you.

Tara said...

Sorry to hear that but at least it wasn't just sprung on you. Doesn't mean it was a lot easier to digest though. Always look for the blessings and when the time is right, it will happen. *Hugs*

Carrie said...

I can't imagine what it feels like, I would be devastated. Blessings and I hope this week is relaxing for you!

JanMary said...

So sorry to hear this, hugs and prayers, and definitely take a wee bloggy break.

melaniet42 said...

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers!!!

scrappinmommom said...

Melanie, I am so sorry, I know that it is early, but it still is heart wrenching. Keeping you and your family in my prayers. Sending you hugs,
Ruth Ann

Cmaaarrr!!! said...

I'm very sorry to hear! You are in my thoughts. Feel better soon!