Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Weekend Away

This past weekend, John and I used our birthday gift from his dad: a two-night stay at a hotel of our choice and babysitting!

We chose to stay at the Hotel Helix in Washington, DC. It was a bit funky and trendy for us, but the service was nice, it was reasonably priced, the bed was super comfortable, and it was near the restaurant/bar that we wanted to visit over the weekend.

Friday night we went to Churchkey DC, a newly opened bar/restaurant just around the corner from the hotel that has a menu of 555 beers (500 bottles, 50 taps, 5 casks). And if you know me, you know that that sounds pretty close to heaven for me, since I am a beer LOVER. We tried a variety of beers. We sampled the food, which was also very good. It got quite crowded as the night went on; I'm glad we got there a little after 4pm, shortly after they opened. A note for any of you that want to check it out...many of the beers are high in alcohol content. I counted. 38/55 of their tap/cask beers were rated at 6.0% ABV and up. And I mean WAY up. The nice part is that you can order a 4oz. glass of any of their beers at a lower price and still get to taste a lot of them. Here is a list of what we got to enjoy. I tried to write them all down!

Duck-Rabbit Wee Heavy Scotch Ale (John)
*cask* Peak Organic Espresso Amber Ale (Mel)
Bell's Rye Stout (John)
Dogma (Mel)
Two Hearted Ale (John)
Bashah (Mel)
*cask* Olivers ESB (Mel)
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen (John)
Troegs Java Head (Mel)
Aventinus (John)
Rogue Mogul Madness (John)
*cask* Ola Dubh Special 18 Reserve (Mel)
Smuttynose Baltic Porter (John)
Vertical Epic Ale 09.09.09 (Mel)
Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout (John)
Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron (Mel)

Friday night while at the bar, my cell phone breathed it's last breath. So Saturday, we found a Verizon Wireless store, and with a little persuasion, we were able to get me an upgrade to the new Droid by Motorola. Score! I'm still figuring it all out, but so far, I'm liking it. I especially liked the walking maps feature, which we used during our many hours we spent walking around yesterday. Oh yeah, and I downloaded an awesome Geocaching app (FREE!). I'm still trying to figure out how to turn off the audible notification when the phone is fully charged, since last night it randomly said "Droid" in it's robotic voice to us to let us know it was charged. Weird. I think I'm going to really enjoy this phone.

Today was spent sleeping in and getting back to my father-in-law's house to pick up Jillian. State Farm finally paid John for the blue truck that was totaled a while back and he had to clean all his tools out of it since they are picking it up tomorrow. And since the time change, daylight hours are severely limited in the afternoon.

Now I'm catching up on some Facebooking, Twittering, and blogging. I should be back in the swing of normalcy by tomorrow! Overall, it was a great weekend and my husband and I had some good, quality time together to reconnect and have fun, toddler-free! Thank you SO much Bubbie and Paw-Paw!!!!

1 comment:

emk said...

Ooohh-- the hotel was included in the birthday gift, too! WOW! What a treat! Glad you had a good time!