Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What I Learned This Week

It's that time again, folks. Time for me to regale you with awesome tidbits that I've picked up along the way. I had a couple really good ones to share with you all, and then we had an unexpected shift in our afternoon yesterday that kind of threw me off. So forgive me if this list is brief.


* I learned that BGE (aka Constellation energy, our gas & electric monopoly) only accepts payments in the form of Mastercard and Discover or check. No Visa. Nice. And if you are paying through your checking account, they most certainly WILL verify funds with your bank while you're on the phone.

* I also learned that if your service gets turned off and you don't call before 3pm, you don't get reconnected until the following day during the concise window of "between 8am and 5pm". (figured out yet what our unexpected event was yesterday afternoon?)

* I learned that my husband has the best flashlights ever.

* I learned that it is awesome to live near family, and even more awesome when family offers to keep Jillian for a spur-of-the-moment overnight stay when you don't have power in your house.

* On a lighter note, I learned that when dying rice to create a sensory bin for a toddler, it is a good idea to ask "why" when the directions say to add a small amount of alcohol or vinegar in with the food coloring. I didn't ask, just skipped that step. And my toddler ended up with blue hands. Guess it makes sense...you add vinegar to food coloring when dying Easter eggs.

And that, dear readers, is all I learned. Whatever I had intended to write about prior to yesterday afternoon has been long forgotten. Have some awesomeness that you learned and want to share? Join up over at Jo-Lynne's!

6 comments:

Tracey said...

Sounds like you had a good perspective on the whole "losing power" event! I might have also skipped the alcohol/vinegar step with the dyed rice, so I'm glad you shared that lesson!

The Mommy said...

My husband has the best flashlights ever too!! It's sort of an obsession! Who has ever heard of someone NOT accepting Visa.

Tara said...

Sounds like you've had a rough couple days. My hospital bill from my sinus surgery arrived today and either you put it ALL on credit card ($1500+) or they automatically draft from your acct. every month. What? Can't I just send a check every month on my own terms in the amt. I want to pay. Hope things are back to normal around there!

jen@odbt said...

Glad the lights are back on - that just doesn't make sense that every other form of payment is accepted. Thank goodness for family and flashlights!

2 Toddlers and Me said...

I've never thought about dying rice before. How interesting. I hope it turned out fun otherwise, sounds like a neat project.

Musings of a Housewife said...

I'm just impressed that you created a sensory bin! That's cool.