Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tot School!



For our second week of tot school, we centered our learning around the letter "B".

"B" Crafts
We glued buttons to the letter B template (available at DLTK's Craft for Kids). I underestimated the fun Jillian would have with the buttons and the attachment that she would form here. Every time she'd place a button down in the glue, she'd want to pick it back up to play with it. I helped her out on this one!


Jillian also did some more coloring on her favorite box.

"B" Reads
Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
"B" Book from our Sesame Street ABC Puzzle Board Books set
Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
Boats by Byron Barton
Bedtime Prayers by Allan and Linda Parry

"B" Movies
Bear in the Big Blue House (potty show!)
Babe

"B" Activities
I got really creative this week and made bean bags for Jillian to toss into a box. As the "game" progressed, we also ended up with balls and blocks in the box. I got a picture of the beanbags I made, but not so much of Jillian playing with them.

I also picked up a big bag of pompoms at Joann for Jillian this week. She had a blast picking the "balls" up with a spoon and putting them in bowls. We are definitely going to bring them out every week. She was completely entertained for more than a half hour with these and would have probably even played longer, except we had somewhere to be.




Outdoor Ed
This really isn't "B" themed at all, but we had such great weather this week we just HAD to get outside!

We went hiking (you can read about those adventures here).

We went airplane watching and learned about moss (more on that here).

We went for a walk in our friend's neighborhood which I quickly turned into a "nature" walk. There were such fun things to learn about, including pine cones, tiger grass (striped), soft plants, etc.

"B" week was super fun, because there are so many "B" things!! As an added bonus, we got a balloon from Trader Joe's!

For more awesome Tot School ideas, check out 1+1+1=1!

10 comments:

Virginia Lee said...

We love nature treasure walks. My 15 month old loves them as well as my 4 year old. Looks like you all had lots of fun.

http://rogersfamilycircus.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Love the picture of the pom poms everywhere :) And you did some great outdoor activities!

Lil' Ms. P said...

DLTK's is one of my favorite sites. It has so much to offer. I loved all your B theme activities, especially the box coloring. My son was just doing the same thing on Friday. We turned it into a race car and he loves pushing his toys around.

Brenna said...

awesome ideas, mel. mind if i steal some?

Giggly Girls said...

I love the giant pom poms. We only have small ones. I like yours much better. I'm going to have to go get some.

Our Country Road said...

I love your coloring box and bean bags! Looks like you all had fun. Thank you for the great ideas.

melaniet42 said...

"Steal" away Brenna - that's what it's all about!

The Activity Mom said...

cool big pom poms!

Casy Schweickart said...

Wow, that is great! Cool ideas that I am definitely going to steal! ;0)

Brenna said...

and you got those pom poms at joanns...ANOTHER reason for me to go!