Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stripes

WARNING: if you are an arachnophobe, you may not want to read this post. In fact, you may want to close it right away, because there is a picture. Of a spider. A pretty scary looking spider.

Are there any spider experts out there? 'Cuz I would LOVE to know what kind of spider we have befriended. We have a 'pet' spider in our house. I use term loosely. It lives in our downstairs shower. It doesn't have a web; it hunts.

Those of you who know me IRL know that I am terrified of spiders. Mostly because they bite me and their bites hurt. And they are creepy. But I have a sort of unspoken rule for bugs of any type that 'live' in my house. Don't let me see you and don't surprise me (like those terrible, jumping camel crickets), and we can live together in harmony.

This spider kind of abides by my rule. One evening a month or so ago, I was in the bathroom in our basement. I saw a moving shadow through the frosted glass of the shower stall. I finished my bidness and slowly opened the sliding door. And saw this spider.


I then closed the door and told John. He went and saw him as well. Somehow, I didn't freak out and demand that he put him out. This spider, you see, was pretty much abiding by my bugs-in-the-house rule. So we let it hang out.

And he's still around. Every now and then I don't see that shadow in the shower stall and open the door to find it not there. Out hunting, I suppose. But I've never unexpectedly stumbled upon it 'out in the open'. I guess it likes living here. I will admit that since I've been paying attention, I've noticed a lot fewer random bugs in the basement.

It's about 2-3 inches long. I was too scared of it to put something like a quarter next to it to photograph for scale.

And yes, I've named it. It's name is Stripes.

3 comments:

The Real Me! said...

We have wolf spiders that get in our house that big. I've blogged about it and if I would have saw him in the basement that we don't have I probably would have left him alone but we've seen two HUGE ones in our house and I can't have them tap dancing on my face at night! You know what I mean? I can't stand spiders yet they seem to LOVE me!!!

Jack's Dad said...

It looks like either a Wolf spider or a Fishing spider. Neither are particularly venemous. Wolf spider bites ususally don't do worse then itch and fishing spider bites will sting and cause mild swelling and necrosis (I had to look up fishing spider bites), but are listed as 'mostly harmless'.

Frankly I can't stand spiders of anytype. To many "it just ran over my hand/leg" incidents in my life.

Brenna said...

cool spider! tho i'm glad we don't have any living in my house, as far as i know!