Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Long and Short of It

Apparently nothing can go "right" for too long. I got a call this evening from my husband saying he had been in a car accident. No injuries - he's fine. He was turning on a green light and got rammed by another car running the oncoming red light. Luckily, he was driving a big, metal truck. Which is likely totaled.

I haven't blogged too much lately about 'where we are', but John's contracting gig fell through a month or so ago. We have our own business that is still developing and this contracting gig was aiding us financially with some part time income while Enercient was coming along. Needless to say, money is tight, we are paying for our own worthless health insurance (more on that later), and we're getting by. More from John on that here.

What does today's turn of events mean for us? Well, long-term, we're not certain yet. Initial thoughts are:

1) We're grateful that there are no injuries (John may still go to the doctor tomorrow - his solid truck had a cap on it and was stocked full of work tools, meaning it was heavy; and the jerk gentleman that hit him in a piddly Toyota SUV still managed to turn the truck 90 degress). He was clearly cruising along at likely above the 45MPH speed limit. He did admit fault and there were multiple witness. Howard County's finest responded and were clearly ticked off at yet another crappy driver.

2) We have another truck we bought last year that we've been letting one of his friends use for work - helping John out with side jobs. Basically, we still have another vehicle at our disposal.

3) The big, blue truck as I called it had about half the miles on it than my car does and was a 1987(?) Chevy. It was his grandfather's truck, who was a diesel mechanic. It was well cared for and solid. While not worth much monetarily, it was worth it's weight in gold knowing it would last for years to come, and with no car payment.

4) Where on earth is John going to put all his work tools? Good grief! He built shelves in this truck (a full sized bed with a cap). The other truck we have is a, what I like to call, a mini-bed, and there's NO way he can get all that stuff in there. Maybe we buy a cap for it to make that bed space bigger?

*UPDATED*
5) I should mention that John has a deal (I hesitate to use the word "deal" because it always sound shady to me) that would give him part time contracting-type income on or about November 1. We just spent time banking this week to rearrange "assets" to get us through until we have income again.

So that's the long and short of it. He's fine, we're fine. It's our anniversary today. What a present. We did still make it out to dinner, though a little later than planned.

Here are a couple pictures of "Blue" post-wreck. And "Blue" being loaded up onto its hearse tow truck. They are cell phone pics, they might not be the best quality, since I clearly didn't think to bring my good camera with me.



7 comments:

emk said...

What a day. I am so sorry! (Blue looks so sad!)

Melissa said...

I am so sorry, but am glad John is ok.

Casy Schweickart said...

I am glad he is alright! That looks horrible! Hope everything comes out ok and btw Happy Anniversary

Party of Eight said...

SO glad John is OK! How scary! I'm praying that a Blessing comes your way! Stay positive!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Well, I'm sure glad your husband is okay, but man. What a set back. I'm so sorry to hear this. ((hug))

Brenna said...

sorry everything is so crappy...glad john is fine. when it rains, it pours!

Cmaaarrr!!! said...

Oh no! I just saw this in catching up with my feeds... I'm glad John's okay! My thoughts are with you as you work on bouncing back.