Sunday, October 25, 2009

Adventures in Juicing

With all the apples we've been picking, I've had a hankering to make apple juice. And coincidentally, I have a juice extractor. That I've never used. The wedding gift of four years ago was banished to storage due to my lack of space in the kitchen. Until last weekend, when I reorganized the kitchen so I could have more than one freakin' appliance in it.

I decided to give it a try while my muffins were baking Saturday morning. I didn't take pictures of each step in the process, mostly because I was focusing on reading the instructions. But here's how it went.

The instructions said to prepare the fruit by cutting it to fit in the food chute. I wasn't clear on whether I needed to peel it or not, so I went ahead and peeled and cut my apples. I used eight medium sized apples.

My observations:
1. The juicer is LOUD.
2. There is a lot of "pulp" left over that seemed pretty wasteful. I used my apple pulp in the Pork Chops and Apple with Maple Sauce recipe I tried Saturday night in place of the apple slices and that worked out well.
3. The originally produced juice was very thick and had the grainy consistency of an apple. So I took the advice in the instructions of running it through a coffee filter to get some of the residual pulp out. That worked well.

All in all, the process wasn't terribly bad. Since I did it while my muffins were baking, it didn't really take tons of extra time, just a little extra cleanup.

Here are pictures of my apple juice. The eight apples yielded a legal (English) half pint.


I did not add ascorbic acid or lemon juice to keep it from browning slightly, but there was a difference in color from the time the juice was first extracted to the time I filtered and poured it. But that doesn't bother me.

My husband asked me only one question, "Does it taste like apples?". That may sound weird, but honestly, most apple juice from the store doesn't taste like biting into an apple. And the answer, without hesitation, is, "YES". And it was awesome.

I'm definitely going to do it again, but the instructions say not to store freshly extracted juice for more than 24 hours. Now, this is NOT a process that I would do that often. I would love to do a big batch of apple juice (enough for a week) and store it in a pitcher in the fridge. So I'm not sure how best to proceed, but I think the process (with cleanup and all) is a bit much for one glass of juice.

2 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

The unpasteurized cider I remember getting as a child was thick like that. Even the stuff I've found here this fall tastes delish but isn't as thick. I think I may need to invest in a juice extractor!

Eatiing Raw Foods Info said...

I absolutely homemade apple juice. I make mine with a juicer and it tastes exactly like apples. I agree with your husband - store bought apple juice tastes nothing like apples. But this is SO good!