Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Need to Know Tuesday, Vol. 17



I've got a doozy for you parents out there this week. I was babysitting a couple weeks ago, and I was reading the toddler a book with some nursery rhymes before naptime. We came to "Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack jump over a candlestick!" and the rhyme was illustrated. I read it and the two and a half year old exclaimed, "He burned his penis!". Obviously, the illustration showed a boy jumping over a lit candle. I replied with the avoiding-a-discussion, "Yes, fire is hot." Having a child who doesn't have many words yet, I was taken off guard to say the least. But this toddler is potty training and has a baby brother. So it makes perfect sense that she knows what a boy's private part is called. And two and a half year olds certainly don't have the appropriateness filter installed yet.

It got me thinking though...what should I teach Jillian that her private parts are called? I grew up with "pet" names for them, rather than the correct anatomical name for them. So naturally that is what I was going with for Jillian. I did a little reading up though, and "experts" recommend teaching children the anatomically correct term for their private parts.

What I need to know this week is...do/did/will you teach your children the anatomically correct names for their privates? Or did you stick with a "cute" name for them. And following that line, do/did/will you use the technical term for eliminating? You know, urinate vs. peepee, BM vs. poop?

Help me out here...Jillian is still learning, so at her age, I could switch to the "correct" terms. I just don't know if I can handle, "I need to make a BM from my anus". I feel like I'm leaning towards something like, "My hiney needs to poop", or something to that effect....

3 comments:

Emily said...

I vote for calling a spade a spade, except for anus... I'm going with booty. Strangely "penis" and "vulva" don't bother me, but anus is where I draw the line. I also vote for poo or poopie and pee or pee-pee ad opposed to feces and urine.

MegaMom9 (same on Twitter!) said...

We've always gone with "privates" until they are around 5 or 6 when we teach "penis" and "vulva". It is one of my pet peeves that people insist on calling a woman's private parts the "vagina"- that is the INTERNAL organ, NOT what you see! We also teach them that these things are private and not to be discussed just anywhere or with anyone. This is also when we reinforce that no one besides Mama and the doctor are allowed to ask to see their private parts.

Party of Eight said...

Melanie- you crack me up! Do what feels right for your family, don't listen to the "experts". They probably don't have any kids anyway :P