Monday, September 21, 2009

Friend Makin' Monday - Craigslist

It's time for another round of Friend Makin' Mondays! Head on over to Amber's blog, join in, and make some friends!!



Today's question is about Craigslist: do you love it or do you hate it?

Do you use Craigslist?
What have your experiences been? Good or bad?
What was the best thing you've ever bought?
What was the best deal you ever sold?

Personally, I haven't used Craigslist that much, but the few times I have used it, I've loved it!

When I was pregnant with Jillian, I had a decision to make about our cat situation. At that time we had two cats. One of the cats, Frankie, was very overweight, hard to keep clean (he couldn't reach his back to clean himself), fought us when we tried to clip his nails, and shredded up our carpet with said claws. We loved Frankie, but he also wasn't as tolerant as our other cat, Gus. We decided it was time to find Frankie a new home before the baby arrived. Adult cats are typically harder to find homes for. I turned to Craigslist and found a couple that was a perfect match for him. I spoke with them on the phone, and the gentleman came by to meet Frankie. He took him home that day. I got our vet to fax their vet his records. They emailed me pictures of him in his new home. A year after they got him, they sent me another picture of him!! I haven't heard from them since, but I assume that Frankie is quite happy being doted on as an "only cat".

After Jillian was born, I was looking for an exersaucer. I couldn't decide what to buy, since her tastes are rather fickle and the last thing I wanted to do was spend a decent chunk of change on something big. I found this Baby Einstein Activity Jumper on Craigslist up near where my mom lives, so I sent her on over. She picked it up for us (for around $20 I think) and we used it ALL.THE.TIME.

Beyond those two things, what I use Craigslist for mostly is for finding yard sales. People more and more are advertising their yard sales on Craigslist, so rather than aimlessly driving around, I can sort of plan my yard sale outings this way!


Since there are a bunch of crazies out there, I'm going to go ahead and copy Amber's PSA:

***I have to do a public service announcement: Craigslist can also be very dangerous. There's been lots of stories on the news lately. Always make sure that you are not home alone when you have someone come to pick something up. Always bring someone with you when picking up an item at someone's home, or make sure to meet in a very public place. Always check the money, even if you feel badly about it. Never give out your address until you are ready for them to come & someone is home.***

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention getting my pup Penny on craigslist! Thanks for reminding me!!! Happy Monday!

♥Amber Filkins♥ said...

Oh, I'm so glad that you had success with your kitty. I hear really bad stories about putting pets on there.

Isn't it so great to get almost brand new stuff on there instead of paying full price? Especially kids stuff--they just go through it SO fast!!

Happy Monday!

Becca said...

I love finding all of the yard sales on craigslist...they have more listed than even the newspaper!!!

♥ Kenz ♥ said...

It sounds like you've had good experiences which is awesome. I've had some good, but also very bad..grr..

johntindale said...

There was a recent article in Wired Magazine about it, it's worth a read.

Even though Craig's list had this recent tragedy, this has always been a danger when making public announcements.

Amber's PSA can be used for ANY time you meet someone from a public announcement using ANY online service.

Another thing i would add is that just because a predator behaves themselves in public (like at a tweet-up) doesn't mean they are "safe" just because you met them once. for the next meeting, go somewhere public, be cautious, or take someone with you.