Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall = Apple Picking!

We went apple picking for the first time this fall today. We first headed to Larriland Farm, only to realize that they are closed on Mondays. Oops! Good thing we knew about another pick-your-own farm not too much farther away. We drove out to Rock Hill Orchard and picked apples; Jonathan, Empire, Jonagold, and a handful of Golden Delicious for Jillian.

The apple dishes began tonight. I made a casserole of baked apples with cinnamon and raisins as a side for dinner. And we have enough left to go with pork chops later this week! Tomorrow evening I'm going to start some crock pot apple butter. Score! I may even bake a pie this year!

Jillian enjoyed our apple picking experience too!!




She calls them "bapples"! Of course, she was saying this non-stop while we were picking apples. At home, though, she wouldn't say it for me quite as much. I got a couple "bapples" out of her for the video camera to share!

8 comments:

Julie From Inmates said...

Looks like she had a great time!!! She's a doll. =)

Jennifer Sardam said...

Ooh, how do you make crockpot apple butter? Do share.

Party of Eight said...

Thanks for posting this Melanie! I was inspired so I took the kids up to Larriland this morning and we had a blast picking apples :) What a great way to start the Autumn season :)

Tara said...

Yes, you should post the recipe for apple butter! Sounds so good and as always, she's adorable!

Janis Markopoulos said...

Stopped by for a visit on your blog. Adorable. I see a cute scrapbook page out of those photos.

Janis

Tracey said...

She is so cute! I wish we had somewhere close by to pick apples as I love picking my own fruit. I'm afraid we'd have to drive several hours to find a place for apple-picking.

melaniet42 said...

Here's where I found that super simple crock pot apple butter recipe:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1612,158176-247203,00.html

I tend to stay away from artificial sweeteners, but the first time I made this I didn't have enough sugar on hand, so used Splenda. The next time I used sugar. I found that in this recipe, I actually preferred the Splenda. The texture was much less heavy. I may try a half Splenda/half sugar mix next time I make it.

Enjoy!

Orange Juice said...

OMG those seriously are the most precious pictures EVER!