Saturday, August 15, 2009

This is a Story About a Girl...

...who learned how to climb out of her crib.

Jillian and I went over to Bridgeway's Buck-a-Bag this morning and picked up some good stuff for her for this fall, a sweater for my husband, and a couple tops for me. All in one bag. Which means, the loot cost $1. Thanks for the tip on this Tammy! We then did some driving around and ended up at Babies 'R Us. Don't ask how that happened, but we slipped in to pick up a booster seat for the wee one. I'm not sure how we ever lived without one, but we bought this one and already used it tonight at a restaurant. I have a feeling it will be $23 well spent.

Unfortunately, Jilly fell asleep in the car before Babies 'R Us. Not for long, only about 15-20 minutes. After our shopping, we went to Chick-Fil-A for a big lunch, me hoping that a full belly would help her crash out good for that big afternoon nap when we got home. This was not the case. She "talked" in her crib for a good hour before I decided to lay down. Since she wasn't fussing, I was going to let her have quiet time for another hour while I caught a few quick zzzzzzz. Just as I was drifting off, I felt something around my hair/face. I figured it was my cat and opened my eyes. And there was my precious toddler's face looking at me. My first thought was that I was dreaming, my next thought was that perhaps my husband came home from working while I was sleeping soundly and got her up. But no, reality set in and I realized that Jillian, in fact, did climb out of her crib and come downstairs. Nice.

So now what? Do I wait and see if she does it again? Do I start baby-gating the door to her room just in case? Do we move her into a big girl bed? I was hoping to hold off the transition to a big girl bed off until we move (long story...we haven't found a house, but did find a lender crazy enough willing to pre-qualify us, so we've spent a couple evenings driving around looking...). Clearly, I could have held for my "Need to Know Tuesday" post this week, but I'd like to be armed with some solutions in the event that she keeps it up.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day. My stepson Josh turned the big 1-0 yesterday and we're having a dysfunctional birthday party for him. We're having it at my mother-in-law's house. It will be him, his mom (aka: my husband's ex-wife), his mom's parents, my MIL and her husband, my FIL and his wife, some of his Cub Scouts friends, a variety of other family members on my husband's side (and former side) of the family, and no alcohol. Don't you wish you were me?

4 comments:

emk said...

i do love your strike-throughs! have fun at the birthday party tomorrow!! ;-) can't wait to hear about it!

Melissa said...

I can' believe what a big girl Jillian is!! Sorry to disappoint, but I vote for a big girl bed. A gate will keep her from wondering the house, but not from falling on the floor in the middle of the night.

Party of Eight said...

Oh my gosh! My oldest daughter was 15 mos. when she started suicide jumping out of the crib! I agree with Melissa on the toddler bed. And you could still use the gate on her bedroom door if you wanted, too. I saw on your shelfari is the book "The Escape of Marvin the Ape". Maybe she got some ideas??? Good luck!

Brenna said...

if you don't want a big bed just yet, you could try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tots-Mind-Cozy-Crib-White/dp/B00014PLAY