Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sleep Deprived?

Well, I can't truly say that I am sleep deprived, because one night of bad sleep hardly constitutes that. Last night didn't go so well in the "big-girl" bed. I mean, we've never done this before, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it was quite a night. Let me preface this by mentioning that Jillian is a great sleeper. She's always done pretty well, and for months now, she has been sleeping a good 12-13 hours at night and taking a solid 2-3 hour nap during the day. Seriously, no complaints here!

Last night was a different beast. She went down for me after some fussing, mostly due to her seeing me up the baby gate up at her door. It totally flipped her out and then we spent almost a half hour settling her back down for bedtime. So, nix the baby gate. Because THAT's what I want...a toddler in a bed that she can get out of and come into our room roam the house. Anyway. When she went down the first time, she stayed in her bed for somewhere between 15-20 minutes, then came downstairs. I took her right back up and put her down again. Success! (or so we thought) She stayed down for about three hours! Shortly after I went to bed sometime after midnight, she woke up and got upset. Obviously, the house was dark. It didn't occur to her to come into our bedroom. I finally realized she wasn't going to crawl back into her bed without some assistance. I found her downstairs looking for us. Great.

I stayed up and down (mostly up) with her until about 2am when I gave up and baby-gated her room, hoping that she'd just play in there, or crawl back into her bed, or something QUIET. My wonderful husband took over for me at that point for a couple hours. I went back in with her around 3:45am and got her back down for the rest of the night. Well, for four hours. Ugh! Clearly this made for a sleepy Jillian and a cranky mommy today.

This morning we met up with our mommy friends at the tire playground. I didn't take any pictures, but Lindsey and Emily did - thanks ladies!!

Jillian likes getting dirty. I mean, really dirty. Have I mentioned my dislike of mulch? I hate mulch. It sticks to everything (especially sweaty babies) and has an uncanny ability to get inside diapers.


It was HOT outside today, even this morning! Jillian does some serious sweating, just like her mommy daddy.


As we were leaving the park, Jilly's "twin", Cady, wanted to hold hands. It was SUPER sweet.


After a HOT fun morning playing with our friends, we ran a couple errands and came home for lunch and a nap. Jillian went down for her nap well and only got out of her bed once. She went back upstairs on her own (after some instruction from mommy) and slept in her bed for about two and a half hours. I took the opportunity to catch a couple winks myself. I am going to have a hard time getting used to waking up from a nap with her cute little face looking at me! I really did like those few minutes after waking up to, well, wake up, before going to fetch her out of her crib.

Completely unrelated, but still part of our day, I made a yummy dinner tonight. Thanks Jo-Lynne for the recipe - it turned out great! If any of you out there are interested, the recipe can be found here. The end result was even picture-worthy! And for those of you who really know me, yes, that IS a salad on our plates. And I DID make the dressing myself (pats herself on the back).



And back to that whole baby-likes-to-get-dirty thing...Jillian smeared sour cream all over her face and in her hair. "Why?", you ask? Clearly because we had a shower right before dinner. Nice.


If you followed all that rambling, thank you! I did start the post by describing our lack-of-sleep-night! Check back later this week when I'll be posting something more coherent a giveaway!!

5 comments:

emk said...

It has to get easier, right?!! Your dinner looks YUMMY!

Melissa said...

Sadie has never been a good sleeper. We have a gate on Sadie's door, but she still wakes up a lot of nights and screams for us. Usually, on the nights Ryan sleeps longer so that we can be awoken multiple times. Last night they both slept over 9 hours so there is hope!

Anonymous said...

And if the big girl bed doesn't work out, you can always turn it back into a crib (zip tie and all)!
I can't offer any other advice, because Ben was not the climber that Jill is, so he stayed in his crib until he was 2.5. And there's NO way I trust Luke in a big boy bed...that kid might stay in a crib until he's 4. :-)
Lisa

Casy Schweickart said...

I love reading your blog. Since Emily is a few months younger than Jillian I feel like a get a sneak peek of what is to come! LOL

Musings of a Housewife said...

YUM! Glad you enjoyed them. :-) And homemade salad dressing is THE BEST.