Monday, August 3, 2009

I Need to Know Tuesday, Vol. 13

I'm sure you all think I'm a huge know-it-all by now, since I didn't need to know ANYTHING last week. Right? Well, I'm not. I'm just a good old fashioned slacker.


All summer long we've fended off the ants. Several times I've even commented on how surprised I was that they hadn't made their annual appearance in our kitchen. Especially since we have a toddler who consistently throws her food on the floor and a cat who can't seem to keep cat food in his dish while he eats. Couple those with me not being the neatest cook and not being the best housekeeper, well, you can see why I was wondering where our summer ants were.

I wonder no longer. This morning I saw them all over the place. Luckily, they seemed to have ample food sources on the floor and have not ventured into the dishwasher or the cabinets, or onto the counters.

We started using an Ortho product outside last summer (just around the front and side perimeters of the house where we'd be unlikely to track it in the house and the baby wouldn't get into it).

After clearing last summer's ants, it seemed to be pretty successful for us and kept them from returning until now.

This afternoon I swept, I mopped, and I put another layer of the insect-killing granules down outside.

Now what? What do I do to get rid of the ants that are already in the house? Our kitchen is baby gated off, but Jilly sometimes comes in with one of us before a meal and our cat spends time in the kitchen. This week, I need to know what (if anything) have you found that is effective at getting rid of ants in your house that is "safe" around kids/pets. I've used Raid in the past, but it smells awful and it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing I want to spray around with Jillian here. Are there "safe" ant traps out there? Organic sprays that kill ants? Help me readers, help!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes...they have ant sprays that are safe for kids and pets..can't remember the name, but will look at the bottle when I get home tonight. It's clear and the same bottle has lasted us 3-4 years. It's not safe when wet, but as soon as it's dried, it's ok. I have not let Ben or Luke lick the floor after spraying, but hell...the cats are still alive, so it can't be bad.

Booklover1212 said...

I have no tips to share unfortunately, but I think I did read somewhere that a combination of Boric acid and water sprayed around the perimeter works too. Good luck!

~ Jennifer
http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com/

Emily said...

I use windex, when I see them, I spray them. Papertowel in the garbage. I'm weird, but I'm also anti-ant-poison around babies, call me crazy!

Anonymous said...

cinnamon or cayenne pepper sprinkled around. i use cinnamon due to having a dog and baby.