Monday, August 31, 2009

Friend Makin' Monday!

I stumbled into this meme today and thought I'd try it out; so here goes!



1. Do you cook every night?
I try to cook every night. Doesn't always happen, but now that I've started menu planning, I expect that I'll stick to it better.


2. What kind of laundry detergent do you use & why?
For us, usually Purex HE. For Jilly's clothes, Dreft HE.


3. Do you do laundry every day or loads at a time?
In an ideal world, I'd do a little bit every day. But as reality goes, I usually spend one weekend day doing tons! Like yesterday, I did five loads. But I did leave some for this week. Today I did whites, tomorrow I'll do Jillian's clothes. I'm SO not into laundry.


4. How often do you eat out per week?
It depends on the week and our schedules. Sometimes we have family stuff to do in the evenings, like house-hunting. So if we have something to do together after my husband gets home, we'll eat out. But I'm trying to keep it at a minimum to be more budget-friendly. It does seem to come in waves. We'll eat out one week 2-3 times, but then not again for two weeks. That's for dinner. Lunch is an entirely different story. Jillian and I will eat at Chick-Fil-A once a week, but I will more often run through a drive through while we're out and about.


5. Where do you usually eat out?
Frisco Grille, Ellicott Mills Brewing Company, and a new favorite, Barley and Hops; fast food weaknesses: Burger King and Taco Bell.


6. What is your favorite retail store?
♥Target♥


7. What's your favorite thing to drink?
Diet Coke, beer


8. Do you take vitamins? What kind?
I got in the habit of taking prenatals while I was pregnant and nursed. I kept taking them until they were gone, and to stay in the vitamin habit, I take a daily women's vitamin.


9. What percentage of the household chores to you do?
90%. What percentage of those actually get done though? I won't say....


10. Do your children do chores? {Or will they, did they, etc}
They will. I'm starting to work sporadically with Jillian (19 months old) on cleaning up. Or at least putting things back. Hah!


11. Do you go to church?
Yes, most of the time. We're regular during the school year since I sing in the Chapel Choir, but we're not as good at getting up early in the summer. And I do prefer the early service (UGH!).


12. Do you have a housework schedule?
No...one day, though!


13. Do you keep a working budget?
No, we're pretty bad at that. I have plans to start one this week or next though. Nothing fancy, just a good visual of our types of payables and when each was last paid. I'm thinking a small dry erase board like this on the fridge so that it can be updated each time we pay a bill. If it's not right out in front of me, I totally forget it. And now that John is doing contract work only, I need more discipline on paying the bills regularly.


14. What do you do at night as a family?
We eat dinner together most nights, and usually have movie time between dinner and bedtime. Also, we have a pretty regular Saturday "movie night" that we do later with my stepson when he's with us.


15. How do you prepare yourself for a new week?
Yeah, about that.... I'm not great at this, but I'm hoping that menu planning is a good start for me to get my week organized.


16. What do your mornings look like?
They used to look awesome! I'd get up around 7am and have some quiet computer time before Jillian got up between 8-9am. Now that she's in a big girl bed though, she doesn't go back to sleep in the morning when she wakes up like she used to in her crib. So now she gets up between 6:45-7:30am. Bummer. If she gets up any earlier than that though, I make her go back down, because the earlier she gets up, the sooner she gets cranky!


17. What time do you get up in the mornings?
Oh, oops. I already answered that! Around 7am.


18. What time do you go to bed at night?
Usually between 11pm and midnight. Though I'd love to move that to BY 11pm. Somehow those late hours just fly by!!


19. How do you manage all of the paperwork that floods into your household? {bills, school work, magazines, ads, etc}
I'm terrible at it! I do try to "file" bills (put them all in one disorganized stack) and throw out the junk mail as soon as it comes in. Hoping that creating a visual budget helps me get those bills organized better. If Once we move, I'd like to institute some kind of simple filing system, like bins on a small table near the door for "action", "file", and "read".


20. How do you keep your household organized? {calendars, charts, etc}
I have a calendar on the fridge where I write stuff that's happening that effects more than just me (like Jillian's My Gym class doesn't go on there, but evening things do). I saw a really neat calendar at Sams Club I may pick up though. Apparently it has a way to show commitments for multiple family members. And it's specific for the year with each month (rather the the dry erase types that I've seen before). For my daily stuff, I use Outlook Calendar synced with my "SmartPhone" (which doesn't seem that smart to me).

Feel like joining in on this version of 20 questions to make some friends? Make your list and link up at aefilkins!

3 comments:

Tara said...

I learned a lot about you!

emk said...

love the new blog header!

Emily said...

I also enjoy the new header!