Sunday, August 16, 2009

Aw-kward!

Today we spent the afternoon at my mother-in-law's house. She hosted a birthday party for my stepson Josh. Really it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but if I had to make a list of my ten favorite things to do, this wouldn't be anywhere on it.

In attendance were...
Me
John
Jillian
MIL & husband Charlie
Charlie's son Joey, Joey's girlfriend, her daughter
John's Aunt Barbara and cousin Stacey
FIL & wife Lisa
John's ex-wife
Ex's father and mother
Ex's mother's daughter from first marriage, her husband, and their daughters
Ex's mother's son from first marriage
Ex's brother
Ex's other brother & his girlfriend
Ex's sister and her niece
Ex's sister's friend of the family
One of Josh's Cub Scout friends

We all joked that we needed a "family tree" with pictures to show relationships!

Thank goodness 10th birthdays don't happen every year!

Jillian played outside pushing her John Deere lawnmower toy that we bought at the fair, swinging on the swings (while I got bitten at least ten times by mosquitos), and apparently picked up some of my anti-social tendencies and retired to MIL & Charlie's bedroom to watch the NASCAR race with Joey, et al, and play on their bed. She had a blast crawling around, covering herself up with the comforter, and pretending to sleep on the pillows. She got my shades at some point and I quickly snapped a picture of the cuteness.


Phew, what a day!

5 comments:

Jen Sellers said...

First, I got lost on your list of attendees. Way to many things to follow. :) Second, Jillian and Molly must have a secret way to communicate b/c Molly loves to play on any bed and pull the covers up and pretend that she taking a nap!

JanMary said...

MY goodness ...... what a collection of inlaws, outlaws and ex's!!!

Casy Schweickart said...

makes me very glad that Chris (my stepson) is grown and I have never really had to deal much with his mother! I probably would have done the same thing!

Linda said...

I read once that we are pioneers in this sort of thing these days. Yeah right.

I have my Mum and her husband, his son, who now has a second partner with her children that I haven't met yet.

I have Dad who was married to said husband's exwife, but now he has passed away, does that mean I don't have a step mother anymore? I still see her child naturally as he is the one I mentioned before.

I have my husband, his ex, and their three children all of which I haven't seen for awhile.

Linda said...

LOL, except my husband, I see him every day, lol.