Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What I Learned This Week, Vol. 5

Since we vacationed in England last week, I learned lots and lots this time around, but I don't think I can fit all that here. Check back on my blog if you're interested as I'll be posting more details about our trip in the week or so to come.



What did I learn this week?

* Vacations are fantastic, but it is great to come home! I also learned that it would be nice to come home to a clean house. One of the items on my "to do" list before our trip was "clean the house". As vacation neared, my extensive "to do" list was pared down significantly, due to time constraints, effort involved, and of course, two lengthy trips to the passport office. When we arrived home, tired and jet-lagged, one of my first thoughts was, "I sure wish I would have taken the time to clean the house before we left!". Oh well, lesson learned.

* I'll keep this vacation one short...the countryside of Northern England is beautiful!

* Sitting in a middle seat on a Boeing 767 for eight hours is miserable. British Airways downsized our plane on both the outgoing and returning flights. I don't know how much bigger the plane would have been that we were SUPPOSED to have, but I know it couldn't have been any worse than the ones we had. Super cramped.

* I learned that I can't sleep on planes the way I used to. I used to fall asleep during takeoff and sleep until we began our descent. Not so much anymore. I think I slept for maybe three hours total during our red-eye flight out. And barely fifteen minutes of the returning flight (which may have actually been a good thing). I think it was because I was so uncomfortable. See item above.

* While I am NOT much of a hair styling girl, I do enjoy blow drying my stick-straight, thin hair. It doesn't take long and it gives it just a bit of body. I had the pleasure of blow drying my hair only twice while we were in England. I took a hair dryer with me with an adapter - I should not have bothered. It wouldn't turn on anywhere, adapter and all. Three of the places we stayed had in room hair dryers, and only two of them worked. So I learned that as much as I don't actually like doing it, I love having blow dried hair.

* I learned that it's hard to stay on budget when you're pulling money out of an ATM in a foreign currency, with exchange rates that fluctuate daily. Oops!

* And last, but possibly the most important thing I learned this week, I learned that clothes in the dryer for too long can bleed color. I know...I'm slow. Most people already know this. I grew up sorting lights and darks and didn't really get it. Once I washed a red shirt with light colors and everything turned pink. So I don't was new, red clothes with other things. But I do throw everything in the washer together. And wash in cold. And haven't had problems until now. Something happened that the spin cycle in this particular load didn't do it's job. I knew it as soon as I felt how wet the clothes still were. But I was lazy and didn't feel like figuring out how to re-run a spin cycle. So I threw everything in the dryer until dry. Like for three hours. Even on medium heat we experienced some bleeding. Everything in that load that was white, is now a shade of blue-gray, from the dark blue jeans that were in the dryer. Whoopsie!

What did you learn this week? Head on over to Musings of a Housewife to read about what others learned and link up with what you learned!

4 comments:

jen@odbt said...

Sounds like a great trip despite the airplane. I didn't know the dryer could bleed color...good to know b/c I tend to throw everything in too.

Mylestones said...

Glad you had a great trip--northern England sounds divine! But no matter how great the time away, it's always a good feeling to come home (in spite of the overwhelming amt of laundry that surely awaits!).
-Jo

Valencia said...

Hope you had a great time!!!

Wendy said...

I always hope that the cleaning fairies will come when I'm away, but it has yet to happen. Maybe they lost my address. But yes, it sure would be nice to come home to a clean house.

Sounds like you had a lovely vacation though! Even if your hair doesn't agree...