Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What I Learned This Week, Vol. 3



So here's what I learned this week.

1. Some stores are just not set up to offer good customer service anymore. I went to the Verizon Wireless store yesterday to talk to them about my options for staying in touch while we're in England. I went to the store incorrectly thinking that they could offer more informed help than calling the customer service number. I do not like talking on the phone and especially do not like all those silly phone menus. So in we went. The store was under construction and the temporary showroom was located in the back. The folks working there were friendly and the wait was very short. That aside, the answer I walked away with was, "You'll have to call customer service". WTH?!? Then we went to CVS to get passport photos taken. I've decided to bite the bullet and head to DC to get a new passport with my married name. I have an unnatural fear of losing my marriage license while schlepping it across England with me. It is just a piece of paper after all. And just having to explain each time I present my passport seems like a pain to me. I arrived at CVS and the lady working was again, very friendly. She promptly took my photo and let me look at it. But get this, they print their passport photos on the same kiosk that all customers use to make digital prints. This is fine, unless of course, there are two people in line at the kiosk, the first is printing more than 100 prints, and you have a toddler that needs lunch and a nap. WTH, again?!?

2. I learned that if you want to go to the passport office in DC, you have to make an appointment. Kudos to me for checking the website before blindly heading down there today. I would have been disappointed. I have an appointment now, thanks to their 24 hour automated appointment system, for Monday.

3. I learned that "Plan B" is not always a bust. Many times in life I've had a plan to do something that has fallen through. Rather than giving up, I've scrambled to come up with a "Plan B" and sometimes even a "Plan C". Almost always, the lesson learned was that I should have just packed it in and not bothered. In my experience, until this weekend, "Plan B" just never lived up to "Plan A's" expectations. This weekend, we successfully executed a "Plan B" and it was a perfectly good time!

4. I learned that although automatic doors are quite nice when your arms are full of baby and hands are full of groceries, they are not as wonderful when your toddler goes running towards them and they just open. We have this problem at the library. While I'm checking out books and getting our card out, Jillian takes off running for the doors. And open automatically they do. Nice.

What did you learn this week? Head on over to Musings of a Housewife and link to what YOU learned, and read about all the wonderful things that Jo-Lynne and her readers learned too!

10 comments:

The Real Me! said...

Well you learned way more important things then I did but they didn't seem as "fun" lol.
Have a great week!
Kim

Tara said...

I am so with you on #1. We had our passport pictures made at (what used to be) Eckerds and they did the same thing of printing from the kiosk. Luckily for us, no one was in front of us. Technology is wonderful most of the time.

emk said...

Hey-- my passport is still in my maiden name but they printed an amendment somewhere inside it that gives my "new" name. Seems like that would be easier than getting a whole new one. Hopefully they'll be nice to you in DC and make it as easy as possible (esp. since I thought passports took weeks/months to get back!)

Wendy said...

Did you manage to work your way through the phone maze of "customer service" to get your answer? Those things are such a pain...

JanMary said...

You have had a busy week!

Enjoy your trip - where are you planning to visit?

Lori said...

Hi there! I scowl each time I drive by a Verizon store because of the horrible customer service and long lines I always encounter there. Glad that you got it all straightened out!

melaniet42 said...

We're going to England! To be more specific, we'll be in London for a day on each end of our week and then spending the rest of the time outside of and in Newcastle.

Brenna said...

ooooh! I'm with you on the phone menus. I've found that cell phone companies in general are designed to aggravate instead of help. Grrrr.

shelly said...

the funny thing is that it was damn easy for me to do me own passport photos (for free) with http://ePassportPhoto.com
--shelly

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.