Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Need to Know Tuesday, Vol. 7

It's that time of the week again, and I've got a doozy for you! Most of you know I have a cat. He's a sweetheart and his name is Gus. I adopted him as an adult almost 12 years ago. They estimated him at around six years old at the time, but I think he was probably only around three or four. Either way, he's aging. For a period of time P.B. (pre-baby) he had a terrible habit of peeing and pooping on the living room floor when he was displeased with the condition of his litter box. We replaced the carpet and I became more diligent with his highness's box. And things have been good. Until recently. I started using a little briefly a couple weeks ago that he had previously liked. Apparently he no longer likes it. I promptly switched back to a more acceptable brand. But he has taken to pooping in the living room again. He uses his box to pee, so that's clearly not the problem. He's just got some kind of attitude with me. And we're going away for eight days. Ugh. I've tried everything I can think of to express my displeasure with his behavior. I've put the poop in the box so he knows where it belongs. I've rubbed his nose in it. I've rubbed his nose in and sprayed him with the squirt bottle. I've even tried the "I'm dominant" stare-down. We've both tried being extra nice and giving him more cuddle time. But still, every morning, I come downstairs to find a small load of poop in the living room.

Faithful readers, I need to know what I can do to break this habit?!? And just as importantly, what on earth do I do about the pooping problem while we're away?? HELP!!!

4 comments:

Cmaaarrr!!! said...

I wish I had something to offer here, but I could use some input on this as well. We have 5 cats, and one of them decided some time ago to poop outside of the litterbox. It's a perplexing thing, as he otherwise seems healthy and happy, and the others don't display the same behavior. Fortunately, he's courteous enough to do this in the uncarpeted concrete basement, which makes for easier cleanup.

Still, it's quite the hassle.

Diana said...

I feel your pain!! You tried many of the things I would have recommended. I have a cat who urinates out of the box. Most of the time it's his way of saying he doesn't feel well. Sometimes, it's an indicator that I waited to long to scoop the litter. Adding a litter box on all floors of the house helped a little.

When you get back from your trip, you may want to call the vet.

Good Luck!

melaniet42 said...

I neglected to mention that Gus has, in the past, pooped on the concrete, un-carpeted floor in the "cat room" when that litter box falls below his standards. I'd even be happy with a solution to get him to go back to pooping there. At least it's not where the baby plays!!

Emily said...

move the litter box to the livingroom for a night and see if he uses it? i would suggest blocking off the livingroom so he can't get in there but the layout seems to be a challenging...
maybe shut him in the basement to contain the mess?