Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What I Learned This Week, Vol. 2



What did you learn this week? Check out Musings of a Housewife's "What I Learned this Week", read about what other people learned, and link back to what you learned this week!

* Jillian loves the Beastie Boys. In the car on the way to pick up my MIL for a cookout (which was really a cook-in because it rained), "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" came on the radio. Of all the songs that played while we were in the car, this is the only one that elicited a clapping and singing response from her. We're so proud!

* A holiday weekend can be full without being overwhelmingly busy. Often we have a tough time balancing spending time on weekends with family and friends with "down time", especially on holiday weekends. This weekend somehow was relaxing and still full. Friday afternoon I took Jillian to my mom's house for an overnight visit. Friday night John and I went to Wolftrap to see A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, which was very nice! Saturday we went to my mom's house, picked up Jillian, and headed over to a friend's house to visit for a while before heading home. Sunday was church and a relaxing afternoon. Monday we picked up my MIL in Crofton and headed down to Waldor to my FIL's house for a cookout. Tons of visiting with friends and family, yet amazingly, we didn't over-commit ourselves.

** After a fun evening, it's always best to head home rather than go somewhere else. What I mean is, after you've seen a concert, go home. Don't go to a brewery nearby since you're in the area. It's already late and it's just going to get later. After the nice relaxing show at Wolftrap, we decided to go to Sweet Water Tavern. It wasn't far from where we were and I've never been, but John used to frequent it and bring home some tasty growlers of beer when he worked down there. And it was kind of a letdown. The place was nice and quiet for a Friday evening. The beer selection was downright disappointing though. The only dark beer they had on tap was a...wait for it...Chipotle Porter. Seriously, who on earth thinks that smoked peppers have a place in beer?!? I gave this one a double-asterisk because we've learned it before. All it leads to is being tired, more hungover, and broker in the morning.

* See previous item - never try a Chipotle Porter. Need I say more?

5 comments:

Lori said...

Hi there! I'm new to your blog and love your "about me" section. I can relate to the photographer & laundry-hater part!!

Sounds like you had a fun weekend - take care!

Tara said...

Free entertainment.....we are so lucky! Sounds like you had a great weekend.

JanMary said...

Great recap of a great weekend

Thanks for sharing your lessons learned.

Musings of a Housewife said...

I love weekends like that! Full and fun but not overwhelmingly busy. :-)

Emily said...

I can only imagine what it tasted like!