Thursday, May 28, 2009

Too Soon?

We've reached the point in our parent/toddler relationship where disciplinary action is necessary and NO just doesn't cut it all the time. I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb for time-outs is one minute for each year of age. When Jillian acts up repeatedly, sometimes Daddy will hold her on his lap for 2-3 minutes while she settles down, since a strong NO will elicit one of two responses - laughter (when I say it) or meltdown tears (when Daddy says it). I set up the Pack'N'Play in our bedroom this afternoon for time-outs and had to give her one this evening. Too soon? It was effective, because the next time she tried to do that for which she was punished, and I said NO, she listened.

On a completely unrelated note, Jillian had a wonderful Kodak moment tonight. Of course, there was no camera nearby. I was drawing her bath and left her in the bathroom to run downstairs and throw her bottle in a cup of hot water to warm up somewhat. I returned to the bathroom to find my clothed and diapered baby sitting in her bubble bath. So here I stood, cracking up at the baby in the bathtub in her clothes, with nary a camera to be found. :-(

I'll try to do better with pictures tomorrow!

4 comments:

Tara said...

They must both be at that age. Just over the past couple of days, Andrew will bow his back and hold up his legs when I try to pick him up (for say, a diaper change or anything he doesn't want to do). And when I take something from him he'll throw a tantrum for less than 5 seconds. Maybe I'll try the time-out...

Don't you always see the best sights when there is no camera around? I chuckled just picturing her fully clothed and diapered in the tub.

Casy Schweickart said...

That is too funny!! The camera is never there when you need it! I am so glad that it isn't just me when it comes to saying "no". Emily laughs at me too!

Emily said...

I can picture it!

Brenna said...

I tried the time out thing too...it isn't working. Hmmmm...more thought it required!

Too bad you don't have a pic, but the way you described it is hilarious!