Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lower Standards?

Not really. I've been thinking a lot lately about the "little" things that I can do to make me feel good. Then I wondered if I'm lowering my standards by counting things that wouldn't have previously be considered "wins" as "wins" now. I don't think so. I'm just looking at things differently now that I have a baby.

Before baby:
Culinary masterpiece = going to grocery store with an exotic recipe and buying fancy ingredients, cooking for an hour or so, and making an awesome dinner. Or baking an super tasty dessert just for fun. All recipes included at least ten ingredients.

After baby:
Culinary masterpiece = cooking an edible dinner. Bonus for multiple dishes and trying new things. Like lentils or tofu. Extra bonus for cooking something that is remotely healthy and that all of us can enjoy eating. Trying anything new that requires minimal shopping and ingredients. Like baking bread, which I tried today for the first time. Thanks for the bread encouragement Emily!


I've also been trying to do nice things for myself that don't take a lot of time or money that somehow I got out of the habit of doing. Loofah-ing in the shower every day (or most days), reading fiction books for pleasure, shopping (at thrift stores!), and working out at home (well, I haven't actually started doing this yet, but I am thinking about checking out some of the yoga programs on tv). So I'm not lowering my standards, I'm just adjusting my perspective.

And a couple obligatory baby thoughts for the day:

I bought Jillian her own baseball cap at the thrift store.

Jillian enjoyed the bread I made, too.

A close-up of the first molar to emerge; it's almost all the way through the gum and the tops are almost as far in. I swear it looks like there's a LOT of room for that canine to come in.

Here's Jillian saying "all done" with her hands. Notice that she figured out how to get her arm out of the sleeved bib. Monkey.

2 comments:

The Kento Beans said...

I think it's SO important to keep doing at least a few "pre-baby" things to make you happy!! I love my evenings when I can choose to do such things...although, honestly, I usually fall asleep on the couch at 8:45! ;-) The bread looks FABULOUS! Good for you!

Brenna said...

yay for lower standards! Pre-baby: kitchen floor was clean
Post-baby: kitchen floor only clean for 10 minutes every day.

yep...i miss the pre-baby stuff too. good for you!