Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday.

I'm usually not one for giving up something for Lent, but I did a lot of thinking this time around and made a Lenten plan. I'm going to give up fast food (Taco Bell, Burger King, Chick-Fil-A, McDonald's, etc.). Those of you who know me well, know that I'm a HUGE fast food junkie. Although I only usually eat it for lunch, the Burger King closest to my house knows which sauce I like with my chicken tenders and how many of them. Years ago, I frequented a Burger King for breakfast so often that as soon as the drive through order-taker heard my voice, he asked if I wanted "the usual". Yes, I love fast food. I'm being realistic though. I'm not going cold turkey. I will cut out one fast food meal per week for each week of Lent. This week, it'll be Friday, since I'll be grocery shopping that morning. Next week, I will eat lunch at home two days during the week, the following week three days, etc. What this also means for me is saving some money. And eating a little better. It will also help me start getting in the habit of eating lunch at home rather than on the go. Which will be a huge help once Jillian fully transitions to one long midday nap. I haven't been in the habit of eating lunch at home since, well, I can't remember. I'll probably start out with simple lunches. Like peanut butter and banana toast. Or a bagel with cream cheese. I'm not the biggest fan of cold cut sandwiches. I also abhor leftovers most of the time. Maybe I'll buy some tortillas, cheese and sour cream. Even leftovers are good wrapped in a tortilla.

2 comments:

Brenna said...

good luck! i find it difficult to break habits, but doing it in a gradual way sounds like the best plan!

Party of Eight said...

We also gave up fast food as a family...We knew it would be hard, but a good sacrifice :)