Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Birthday Girl, Etc.

Here I go, catching up on blogging. Thursday was Jillian's first birthday. We didn't do much to celebrate, though I did give her one of her presents. She was into it! Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it doesn't have a volume switch or an on/off button. BUMMER!

That evening, John and I held a launch reception for Enercient Systems Technologies. We didn't have the largest crowd ever, but a good mix of people came to hear what John had to say.

Yesterday was a pretty low key day. We hung out around the house and Jillian had her one-year checkup with the pediatrician. And shots. Another bummer.
Current Baby Stats:
Weight 17.1 pounds (3rd percentile)
Height 28 inches (20th percentile)
Head 45 centimeters (48th percentile)

Today we celebrated Jillian's birthday with a handful of family and friends. In attendance were: NiNi (my mom), Dottie (my grandmother), Grandma Helen (Dottie's friend), (my) Auny Betsy, Granny (John's mom), Jaime and Danielle (John's cousin & his wife) and their daughter Ella (2-1/2 years old), Lisa and Jamie (my best friend and her hubby) and their boys Ben (4 years old) and Luke (1 year old), and of course, me, John and Jillian.

I'll sum up the day, and then follow it up with some pictures. Jillian was feeling a little sleepy today and chilled out with daddy before our guests arrived. She is getting the hang of unwrapping gifts, but mostly loves tissue paper and cards. Jilly got some great presents, her favorite being the doll baby stroller. We've personally resisted getting her one, since she pushes them into things and then gets frustrated (house rule: we don't play with toys that make us mad), but Granny bought her one and she is SO into it. Mommy and Daddy will just have to make sure she takes breaks from it, i.e. hiding it in the closet when she is at the end of her rope. Practice makes perfect and she'll have the hang of it in no time.

After presents, we adjourned to the kitchen for some Red Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I'm not a big cake decorator, as you'll be able to tell. The baby chose a Tinkerbell theme for her limited decorations (I gave her three choices and three times she picked the Tinkerbell plates). Jillian sat patiently while we sang happy birthday to her, and I helped her blow out her candle. She examined her cupcake thoughtfully, then she dug in. She didn't get as messy as I had prepared for, but she did enjoy her cupcake, got the obligatory icing in the hair, and ate just about the entire thing!




Our guests left and Jillian crashed for a late afternoon nap. Mommy took her presents out of the impossible packaging in which all toys come. And then snapped a shot of the booty. I totally left out her new Melissa & Doug puzzle. It is fantastic. And also not pictured, enrollment in another session at My Gym in Columbia from NiNi and Poppop - hooray!!! What a loved little girl!

1 comment:

The Kento Beans said...

I love the idea of the cupcakes spelling out the greeting!! So creative-- and very yummy-looking!! Glad the party was a success!
PS-- When do we get the results of the month-by-month challenge??